The annual conference is typically when Apple rolls out new products and updates, particularly new iPhone models. This year should be no different.
Look for launches of the iPhone 14 product line, Apple Watch Pro, and possibly new AirPods. Look also for updates on the iOS 16 rollout.
Apple will host the event live from its Cupertino, California headquarters. The event starts at 1:00 PM EST / 12:00 CST / 10:00 AM PST. Apple will be streaming the event on its website, through the Apple TV app, and on its YouTube channel.
Here’s what the rumors and expectations are for the event, according to multiple sources. (Note: the following are expectations only and cannot be verified as fact until the actual launch at the event.)
• Elimination of the 5.4-inch iPhone mini
• Sizing should include: 6.1-inch iPhone 14, 6.7-inch “iPhone 14 Plus” or “iPhone 14 Max,” 6.1-inch iPhone 14 Pro, and 6.7-inch iPhone 14 Pro Max.
• Upgraded Ultra Wide camera
• Upgraded front-facing camera with wider f/1.9 aperture and autofocus capabilities.
• 6GB RAM
• Updated Snapdragon X65 10 Gigabit 5G modem
• WiFi 6E support
• New purple color that will join black, white, red, and blue
iPhone 14 Pro
• 6.1 and 6.7-inch sizes
• Getting rid of the notch and implementing a pill-shaped cutout and a hole-punch cutout, both of which will house the front-facing camera and the TrueDepth system needed for Face ID.
• The space between the two cutouts will be blacked out when the iPhone is in use.
• 1Hz to 120Hz ProMotion display, will enable Always-On Display function.
• Front-facing camera with wider f/1.9 aperture and autofocus capabilities.
• Larger, more prominent camera bump to accommodate a new 48-megapixel Wide lens with a 21 percent larger sensor that supports higher-resolution images and 8K video recording.
• Telephoto lens upgraded from a 6-element lens to a 7-element lens
• Improvements to the wide-angle lens.
• 6GB RAM
• Faster Snapdragon X65 10 Gigabit 5G modem
• WiFi 6E
• Up to 2TB storage space
• New purple color could join the graphite, gold, and silver options
Apple Watch Pro
• Larger than current 45mm Apple Watch Series 7
• 2-inch diagonal display
• 410 x 502 display resolution
• More rugged, made from titanium alloy, shatter resistant display
• Bigger battery
• Ability to unsend or edit messages after they’re sent.
• Customizable lock screen with new fonts and smaller widgets
• Every iPhone model from the iPhone 8 and beyond will support iOS 16.
• Most likely to be released in the first half of September
• New AirPods and iPads in the works, but it’s not clear if Apple will introduce these at the September event or save them for a second event possibly in October.